FEWS NET EWT – West Africa Regional Food Security Specialist – Remote Monitoring and Network
The Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) Early Warning Team (EWT) seeks a full-time West Africa regional food security specialist-remote monitoring and network (RFSS-RMN) based in Niamey, Niger, in the FEWS NET EWT regional office, however, qualified candidates residing in other FEWS NET EWT countries in the West Africa region will be considered. FEWS NET is an integrated set of activities funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and is intended to provide timely, accurate, evidence-based, and transparent food security early warning information and analysis.
Chemonics International (Chemonics) implements the FEWS NET EWT, a team charged with integrated emergency food security analysis through a Washington-based technical office and more than 20 field offices.
The RFSS-RMN will be responsible for providing quality control for the region’s remote monitoring (RM) deliverables which includes developing monthly country reports, contributing to the Food Assistance Outlook Brief, developing/updating seasonal monitoring plans, and developing/updating FEWS NET’s knowledge base through both in-country activities and desk research and analysis for food security-relevant topics. The RFSS-RMN will also lead on building and maintaining a strong network of partners for RM countries in the region, participate in relevant network activities (e.g. joint assessments, IPC/CH analyses, etc.) and develop and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Proficiency in spoken and written French and English is required; other local language skills relevant to the region are desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET, such as economics, agricultural economics, agronomy, nutrition, climatology, anthropology, or social geography is required; advanced university degree (Master’s degree or higher) is desirable.
- At least two years of relevant experience (with PhD), four years of relevant experience (with Master’s degree), or six years of relevant experience (with Bachelor’s degree) is required. Relevant experience includes working on food security information systems, food security analysis, early warning, or other related fields; experience working with UN agencies and/or NGOs is desirable.
- Significant experience with the Cadre Harmonisé and/or Integrated Food Security Phase Classification; training and certification in one or both is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively conduct rapid assessments, focus group discussions and key informant interviews; utilize other rapid rural appraisal techniques, and undertake other qualitative and quantitative research using appropriate data collection methods required.
- Previous experience working and coordinating effectively with regional partners and stakeholders required
The application deadline for the RFSS-RMN for West Africa position is August 21, 2022 (11:59pm EDT). A full scope of work for this position and application information can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies.
All application materials, including responses to the general information form, CVs, and cover letters, should be provided in English. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.