Announcement Number: Bamako – 2018 – 031
Position Title: Travel Assistant
Opening Period: June 22, 2018 – July 02, 2018
Series/Grade:FSN-7 step 1
Salary: 7,302,569 F CFA – US$ 43,031. Actual salary determined by Washington D.C.
For More Info: E-mail Address: Bamakojob@state.gov
Who May Apply?
All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employeesbefore you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Bamako is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Travel Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is full time (number of hours per week – 40 hours per week) Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: This position is responsible for all aspects of official travel for all Mission USDH, FSN, PSC and PSA employees, official VIP visitors, and TDY personnel as required. The incumbent is directly supervised by the Senior Travel Assistant, and gives work guidance and daily assignments to four Chauffeur/Expeditors.
1. Makes travel and hotel reservations, obtains and/or rewrites tickets, checks, confirms and reconfirms itineraries, and liaises between the Embassy and the contract travel agency. 30%
2. Assisted by one Senior Travel Assistant who is the direct supervisor, and three chauffeurs/expeditors, provides assistance and expediting services for all Mission official travelers, VIP and official visitors and TDY personnel with regards to baggage registration, customs forms, payment of airport tax, police and Health Ministry requirements. 30%
3. Drafts diplomatic notes to other embassies, consulates, and local government offices, requesting visas for the entire Mission personnel, as well as diplomatic I.D. cards for diplomatic and/or official personnel of all Mission agencies (State, USAID, DOD, NIH, CDC, PC, MCC, and MSG), and follows up visa requests with MFA and other diplomatic missions; Processes flight derogations as required and yearly airport access badges for Mission employees. Also processes airport access badges for Mission employees who are required to go to the airport. 20%
4. Prepares travel authorizations and travel orders (ordres de mission), fills and keeps workload statistics; Works closely with airlines, airport and customs officials to obtain airline schedules, flight information and tickets, as well customs clearance of travelers’ luggage; Advises travelers of airlines schedules and changes, and as directed, adjusts travel program accordingly; Is the point of contact for US citizens in and out of Mali for Malian and other countries’ visas formalities, as well as flight and other related matters. Is responsible for the pre-registration with airline companies of senior official when traveling out of the continent. 20 %
5. Also in the absence of the Senior, screens Citibank invoices and send them to B&F for further processing. Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: Completion of secondary school (US High School equivalent) is required.
Experience: Three years work experience in the field of air travel or a closely related field is required. At least one-year experience in direct customer assistance is required.
Job knowledge: Proficient in the use of Sabre or other widely accepted air travel planning software. Good working knowledge of the routes and pricing structure of the air travel industry. Knowledge of how to schedule and set priorities for recurring but unpredictable tasks. Knowledge and understanding of hierarchy and rank in Mali. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Language: Level III English and French; and Level III Bambara are required. English Language may be tested.
Skills and abilities: Demonstrated ability to learn, interpret and apply complex regulations or law; demonstrated customer service skills and tact; ability to draft routine business correspondence in English and French; experience with problem resolution. Business skills in email, internet searches, Microsoft Office word processing and spreadsheets. Demonstrated ability to learn and utilize proprietary software (software created specifically for the organization using it). Good Driving skills are required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given. ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights back to their agency or bureau. For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link:https://careers.state.gov/downloads/files/definitions-for-va
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification. Applicants must submit a Universal Application for Employment DS-174, which is available on the American Embassy website
To apply for this position, applicants should electronically submit the documents listed below. All applications must be sent to Bamakojob@state.gov with the position title listed in the subject line of the email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
• Degree with transcript
• Letter(s) of recommendation( if any)
• List of references
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted. For further information: The complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Bamako.