Vacant Position advertisement: USAID/Mali Executive Office Travel Assistant
REF No.: 72068820R10003 (must be inserted in the subject line of the email)
GRADE LEVEL: FCFA 11,474,597 TO FCFA 1 7,785,637 equivalent to FSN-8. The incumbent will be compensated in accordance with the U.S. Mission Mali’s Local Compensation Plan (LCP). Final compensation will be negotiated within the listed market value.
BASIC FUNCTION: This position is within the Executive Office. Under the general supervision of the Executive Officer or his/her designee, the Travel Assistant is responsible for providing a full range of travel services for USAID/Mali. The incumbent serves as the focal point for the coordination of all Mission travel requirements. S/he is responsible for providing informed guidance to Mission staff on travel regulations, policies and procedures and use of the travel management system E2. She will also work with local travel agency to obtain the lowest cost that still meet the purpose of travel, and itineraries that meet the traveler’s needs and conform to U.S. Government travel regulations. The position oversees one outside contractor as an Activity Manager. The Contracting Officer is the Embassy General Services Officer. The Travel Assistant is the relationship manager for all travel services for USAID/Mali.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordination of Travel Requirements (70%)
In his/her capacity as Travel Assistant, the incumbent will:
- Coordinate a high volume of travel authorizations for all Mission domestic and international travel such as departure, reassignment, transfer, emergency, or medical evacuation.
- Manage a variety of travel-related logistics including flight reservations, hotel bookings, and airport transfer.
- Arrange entry and departure formalities, such as visas and medical requirements.
- Assist Mission travel arrangers in the coordination of travel arrangements for official visitors, VIPs, temporary duty (TDY) visitors and other guests to USAID/Mali.
- Serve as the key point of contact for travel coordination with travel agency. Ensures that the fare basis, routing and itineraries prepared by the travel agency are compliant with travel regulations and use the most direct and cost effective routes.
- Manage the Mission’s contract for travel agency services. Ensure that the terms of the contract between USAID and the travel agency are adhered to and that the travel agency maintains compliance with all applicable regulations and policies.
- Liaise with the Office of Financial Management on all matters concerning the Travel Agency contract, including review and clearance of invoices for tickets.
- Obtain annual agreements with local hotels for lodging rates within or below the official U.S. Government (USG) per diem rate.
- Serve as the Mission liaison with a variety of internal and external contacts related to Mission travel, such as the Embassy travel service, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and immigration services, airline agency managers and other travel industry contacts.
- Confirm itineraries, coordinate updates to travel plans and serves as the focal point for resolving all Mission travel issues.
- Maintain trackers and data related to domestic and international travel schedules; share pertinent travel data with various points of contacts.
- Maintain office files related to Mission travel.
- Manage the Mission’s group residence serving as the reservations agent and ensuring coordination with the Embassy for repairs, maintenance, and cleaning services as well as billing for non-USAID guests.
- Mission Subject Matter Expert for Travel (30%)
The Travel Assistant:
- Advises the Mission staff on policies regarding official travel, USG travel regulations, airline regulations, host government rules and practices.
- Advises employees of entitlements and restrictions on a wide variety of travel situations, including but not limited to home leave and transfer, direct transfer, rest and recuperation, medical evacuation, ordered or authorized evacuation, emergency visitation, invitational travel, educational travel and separation travel.
- Stays abreast of all new and updated travel policies and regulations and advises Mission employees of changes as necessary.
- Serves as liaison on all travel related issues with counterparts in USAID/Washington.
- Prepares any required reports related to Mission travel.
- Serves as the Mission subject matter expert for the web-based electronic travel management system, E2.
- Provides training and ongoing support to all Mission employees on how to utilize E2 for initiating travel requests.
- Provides training and ongoing support to all Mission travel arrangers to become proficient in utilizing E2 for coordinating travel.
- Serves as the lead in resolving E2 issues locally or in coordination with USAID/Washington.
To be considered for this position, applicants must meet the minimum qualifications:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants MUST meet the minimum qualifications below and ONLY preselected candidates will be contacted:
- All Malian Citizens and Local Residents with a valid work permit at the time of application.
- Education: An Associate’s degree or host country equivalent in travel, tourism, business administration, or other related field is required.
- Prior Work Experience: A minimum of three years of increasingly responsible experience in travel or a travel-related field. Experience in travel or hotel management, guest relations, or a closely related field is required. At least one year of this experience should include work in a USG (US Government) or other international organization, in an English-language working environment. Understanding of host Country travel laws and regulations is required.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency in both French and English (Level IV) is required.
- Job Knowledge: Detailed knowledge of domestic and international travel regulations, policies and guidance, and of reservation and ticketing procedures.
- Skills and Abilities: The incumbent must have the ability to work independently, creatively and to use sound judgement to make decisions quickly. He/she must also have the ability to work effectively as a team member in a culturally diverse environment as well as strong interpersonal skills to work with diplomacy, tact and confidentiality when handling a variety of customer requests. In addition, He/she should be able to interpret, explain and consistently apply travel regulations. He/she should possess excellent organization and time management skills to work effectively in a fast paced environment. Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel and ability to utilize various travel management applications are required.
To be considered for this position, applicants must meet the minimum qualifications noted above. For applicants meeting the minimum qualifications, further consideration and selection will be based on panel assessment of the selection factors listed below.
Applicants are required to address each of the selection criteria on a separate sheet describing specifically and accurately what experience, training, education, and/or awards or recognition they have received relevant to each criteria described below, and any related considerations.
Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
TO APPLY: All cv/resume and cover letter must be in English; otherwise application package will be considered as incomplete and will be rejected. All the hiring process will be conducted in English, including interviews and any eventual proficiency written test.
Interested candidates for this position must submit the following required documents:
- A cover letter of not more than two (2) pages describing how the incumbent’s skills and experience fit the requirements of subject position.
- A resume or curriculum vitae (CV) relevant to the subject position.
- Copy of Diplômas, degrees, certificates and/or ‘‘Attestation de travail’’, recommendation letters, etc.
- Three (3) to five (5) professional references with complete contact information including email addresses and telephone numbers. References should have knowledge of the candidate’s ability to perform the duties set forth in the application and must not be family members or relatives.
- Full mailing address with telephone, facsimile numbers and email address and should retain for their records copies of all enclosures that accompany their submissions.
SUBMIT APPLICATION: Indicate the Vacancy Reference Number: 72068820R10003 in the subject line of your email. If this is not properly indicated your submission would NOT be retrieved.
Email Human Resources Management Section: email@example.com with the above reference in the subject line.