As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our 23,614 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries.
The second phase of the Regional Programme Support to Pandemic Prevention in the ECOWAS Region (RPPP2) advising ECOWAS and Member States Institutions on the implementation of core capacities of the International Health Regulations has begun. In the new project there will be an increased focus on support to One Health actors at all levels of the system, on building exchange formats, communications and coordination between them and on building human and technical capacity in this sector. Cooperation will be based on enhancement and further development of key products and deliverables developed during the first phase of the programme (RPPP1), such as the regional risk communications strategy, the Regional Rapid Response Team (RRRT) and digital communications platforms. The project will also support the development of the regional One Health coordination mechanism of ECOWAS and of selected Member States.
In the framework of the implementation of the activities of the said program in Mali, the Office of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) in Bamako, launches the recruitment notice for: A Technical Advisor
· Location of the position: RAHC, with duty travels throughout the region.
· Nature of the contract: 12 months fixed term contract with possibility of renewal
· Classification: Band 4
The Embedded Technical Expert will be located within the RAHC, a specialized agency of the ECOWAS Commission, and will support the overall conceptualization, planning and implementation of activities designed to building the internal and external capacity of the RAHC to deliver its mandate to support ECOWAS Member States in the prevention and control of transboundary animal and zoonotic diseases in the context of One Health.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Regional Animal Health Centre, the Advisor will undertake the following roles and functions:
- Provide operational guidance and policy advice to RAHC to support the development of the networked approach to pandemic preparedness in the ECOWAS region based on the implementation of selected activities of the project:
- promotion of the One Health approach
- development, updating an operationalisation of RAHC regulations, policies and strategies, including the risk communication strategy and interinstitutional coordination and communication strategy
- Support the fostering of dynamic partnerships with key stakeholders at the regional and national levels, including other key One Health stakeholders of the ECOWAS Commission, Member States’ One Health platforms, relevant line ministries, civil society, media, and other development partners;
- Provide context and disease trends analysis as well as technical briefs and research, develop and deliver presentations, prepare various forms of documentation (e.g. background papers, knowledge products and others) as may be required;
- Ensure visibility of GIZ’s support for the development of RAHC and the network of One Health platforms and contribute to GIZ knowledge management processes.
- Support operational planning and provide administrative and logistical support for the delivery of GIZ’s support to RAHC in line with GIZ guidelines;
- Perform other project-related duties and functions as may be directed.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree ideally with a master’s degree in veterinary medicine or medicine, public health, environmental sciences, epidemiology or in a related field relevant to One Health.
- At least 10 years of effective professional experience in management and implementation of complex health programmes at the animal-human-environment interface
- Proven experience in implementation of transboundary animal and zoonotic disease prevention and control strategies at regional and national level.
- Relevant expertise in consulting on One Health and cooperation with international and regional organisations, in particular the ECOWAS commission
- Proven experience of collaboration with partners, interpersonal relations and advocacy with an established network of officials at national, regional and international level.
- Strong ability for strategic analysis, summary and report writing, and good presentation skills.
- Communication and negotiation skills coupled with excellent diplomacy and persuasion skills and an ability to work in a dynamic, multidisciplinary and highly political context;
- Strong organisational, IT and project management skills and a good knowledge and understanding of results-based planning, monitoring and reporting;
- Excellent spoken and written knowledge in two of ECOWAS official languages – English, French or Portuguese
All applications must include: (i) a letter of motivation addressed to the GIZ Resident Director, (ii) a curriculum vitae, (iii) legalized copies of diplomas, and (iv) the contact information of three references.
Submission of applications: Applications should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following text in the subject line: « Technical Advisor ».
The closing date for submissions is June 27, 2022 at 5:00 pm. If you need further information, please send an e-mail to the above address.
GIZ encourages applications from women and persons with disabilities.
Only applications that have been shortlisted will be contacted.