Team Leader, Public Opinion Poll – USAID Mali Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Platform
Social Impact, Inc. (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity-building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors, including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
On November 10, 2022, USAID/Mali awarded the five-year Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Platform contract to SI. Under the MEL Platform Component 1 – Third-Party Monitoring (TPM)/Operational Context Monitoring, SI will carry out Public Opinion Poll activity. The Mali MEL Platform will conduct five (5) Public Opinion Polls over the next five (5) years.
The purpose of these polls is threefold: 1) support in tracking key governance performance and contextual indicators as included in the Mission Performance Management Plan (PMP); 2) assess the trends of many socio-economic and political indicators to track assumptions and risks related to the Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) 2022-2027 scenario-based planning; 3) gather information on specific events or programs that receive US government assistance and facilitate USAID’s understanding of local perception and knowledge of the US government’s assistance in Mali. Potential topics include civic engagement, trust in government institutions, satisfaction with public services, perspective on US government’s assistance, security, and conflict.
The new strategy also represents a deliberate effort to break down barriers between humanitarian and development assistance to maximize the short- and longer-term benefits of USG investments under its Special Objective (SpO). Underpinning the approach are scenario-based planning options that will rely on analytical data collected through USAID’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Platform to inform programming decisions.
SI is seeking a Team Leader (TL) to lead the 2023 Public Opinion Poll. This position requires field visits within Mali. International and Malian candidates who meet the specified qualifications are encouraged to apply. The tentative period of performance (POP) for this position is June – October, 2023 and the expected level of effort (LOE) is 60 days.
Under the supervision of the MEL Platform Chief of Party (COP) in Mali, the TL will work directly with the Public Opinion Poll Project Director (PD) at SI-HQ, Project Manager in SI Mali, and a local Statistical Expert at the field level to design and implement the survey.
The TL is ultimately responsible for the overall technical coordination of the Public Opinion Poll and final products, including the timely production of high-quality deliverables associated with this Public Opinion Poll in conformity with the Statement of Work (SOW). Responsibilities include:
- Lead the development of the desk review, the research design including methodology, instruments, and work plans, design report, and final reports.
- Perform desk review and identify additional information required for analysis.
- Coordinate and oversee the evaluation team members locally hired to conduct data collection and analysis for the evaluation.
- Perform analysis from the data collected.
- Coordinate the work of the local data collection firm mobilized to support data collection including in hard-to-reach areas.
- Provide technical review of the data collection firm’s processes for cleaning qualitative and quantitative data.
- Perform quality assurance checks of data collection firm’s data collection process in the field, when necessary, and their processes for cleaning data.
- Lead the preparation and presentation of the Public Opinion Poll design, key findings, conclusions, and recommendations to USAID together with the Public Poll opinion team.
- Plan and coordinate the Public Opinion Poll implementation, assign responsibilities and tasks, and author the final report.
- Write the draft report with support from the team members, taking into consideration feedback from USAID & MEL Platform after presentations and workshops.
- Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise.
- Experienced research expert, with a documented track record of 10 years of experience in the field of research.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in research/survey in Africa, and preferability in Mali or the Sahel region.
- Master’s degree in education, statistics, political science, public administration, or other relevant social sciences.
- Strong background in data analysis and capacity building.
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing public opinion polls or other population-based survey activities.
- Experience in directing qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis.
- Excellent analytical skills and demonstrated expertise in planning, facilitation, and consensus building.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including experience successfully interacting with USAID, host government officials, and other stakeholders.
- Work experience with USAID will also be an asset.
- Excellent team leadership to keep to a timeline.
- Fluency in both French and English is required.
The deadline for application is June 15, 2023. Please apply directly on SI’s Careers page: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SOCIIMPA2&cws=39&rid=4502
Join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com.
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.