Resource Management Assistant
Local Term Appointment
Three (3) Years,
Location: Bamako, Mali
The Resource Management Unit of the Africa Region (BPSAF) is responsible for business planning, budgeting, work programming, deliverables reporting, and financial reporting for all the departments in the Region. In addition, in country offices, BPSAF staff performs accounting, payment processing, cash management and administration functions. Overall, BPSAF ensures that each department maintains cost efficiency and effective controls over all financial transactions, and provides support for effective management and monitoring of deliverables.
The Resource Management Assistant works independently under the guidance of the Resource Management Officer. The individual will have primarily country office responsibilities, including accounting, financial controls, monthly reporting, cash projection, bank reconciliation, and payroll.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities
Financial Accounting and Reports
- Processes accurately and promptly all accounting transactions, including payroll, operating.
- Expenses, procurement, travel, consultant payments, vendor payments, charge backs and other office running expenses. Processes transactions in the Asset Management module for office inventory;
- Maintains accounts reconciled at any given point in time. Regularly reviews the open item
- Accounts and resolves any outstanding items within CTR’s mandated time frames (mainly, 15/30/60 days).
- Keeps relevant documents and invoices systematically to fully support the accounts;
- Performs Bank account reconciliation and reviews cash flow and replenishment needs.
- Submit Monthly Statement of Reconciliation (MSR) reports within the Institutional deadline (within 10 days after the close of the month)
- Assists in planning and monitoring budget and expenses linked to country office work program;
- Provides references to Bank financial and administrative policies and procedures in
- Administrative expense related subject areas;
- Monitors operating expenses and highlights potential issues;
- Periodically reviews exception reports and takes remedial actions (such as missing time, SOE Exceptions, overtime, open purchase orders etc.);
- Ensures compliance with institutional and regional policies and guidelines;
- Generates a variety of standard and customized financial/accounting reports;
- Interacts with clients both inside and outside the Bank, e.g., staff, consultants, vendors, etc., to effect timely payments and resolve accounting related issues;
- Maintain consistency in the application of accounting rules and procedures, including safeguarding of cash and checks.
- Ensure that all transactions have been duly approved and supporting documents have been initialed prior to processing.
- Review general ledger accounts regularly to ensure accurate posting.
- Review PeopleSoft submissions.
- Ensure correct GL accounts are used in processing transactions.
- Monitor operating expenses and highlight potential issues.
- Ensure year-end accrual policy is 100% implemented.
- Reviews, follows up and resolves issues noted in all internal control review exercises reports issued by Accounting Department (accounting scorecard and QAR, Country Office field Visit)
- Follow up on audit and COSO recommendations which relate to the accounting function.
- Handles local purchasing of supplies, equipment and contracts for services;
- Maintains and updates records and reports on status of inventory and physical assets;
- Handles a variety of general office administrative matters and other ad hoc duties as required (e.g. travel, security, workshops and conferences etc.)
- May provide guidance to less experienced staff.
- May provide information and assistance on benefits policies and related issues (e.g., financial assistance loans, dependency allowance, Medical benefit, overtime pay);
May Processes short-term consultant contracts in accordance with guidelines.
Competencies & Selection Criteria
- Statutory and other Stakeholder Reporting: Understand the components of financial statement financial statements and how specific transactions will affect these components.
- Planning and budgeting: Familiar with basic constructs of budgets and work programs. Understand the guidelines and processes underpinning transactions and daily task and their implications on the entity’s budget
- Performance Evaluation and Reporting: Able to prepare work program and budget reports for management review and undertakes basic validation checks to ensure reporting accuracy.
- Integrity and Independence: Will conducts transactions with honesty, integrity, transparency, and allowing for oversight.
- Internal controls and corporate procedures: Aware of the institutional and corporate guidelines that need to be complied with in processing transactions. Able to identify and understand the internal control components surrounding immediate areas of responsibility. Alerts supervisor to potential areas of concern.
- Deliver results for clients; achieve impactful results, focus on client, take ownership/be accountable;
- Lead and Innovate: innovate, lead and take initiative, adapt.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge: Share expertise & learning, develop self & others, and expand networks.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries: Work collaboratively, be inclusive, and exhibit corporate citizenship.
- Make Smart Decisions: Use analysis & judgment, take risks, make timely decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or other relevant discipline required to fulfill position specific requirements (e.g. Economics, Public Administration, Information Systems, etc.) OR
- Non-relevant Bachelor’s Degree plus one of the following: (1) CIMA Advanced Diploma in Management Accounting; (2) ACCA Advanced Diploma in accounting and Business; or (3) equivalent country-level Accounting certificate.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
For the full job description, competencies and selection criteria for this vacancy, qualified candidates are requested to visit and submit an electronic application at the World Bank careers site: www.worldbank.org/careers. Once at the site, Click on > work with us > Jobs > Search> job number 172125.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Closing date is 04-Dec-2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.