USAID’s Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET) is a leading global provider of objective, evidence-based food security information and analysis to inform decisions on humanitarian response and other assistance programs. FEWS NET collaborates with international, regional and national partners to provide timely and rigorous early warning and analysis of potential, emerging, and/or evolving food security issues in order to inform decisions and guide response.
Chemonics International Inc., a leading international consulting firm based in Washington, DC, has been contracted by USAID to manage FEWS NET’s technical and field activities. Chemonics seeks applications from qualified and experienced West African professionals to fill one full-time Regional Food Security Specialist – Livelihoods (RFSS-LH), based in West Africa. Chemonics seeks to engage the RFSS-LH for an initial contract to last up to December 31, 2019, with the possibility of an extension.
The RFSS-LH will work with the Regional Technical Manager (RTM), the regional team, the country teams in the region, and partners to design, execute, and coordinate regional activities in livelihoods and HEA. These will include supporting the preparation of regional decision-support products, providing technical assistance and guidance to country teams, and strengthening capacity to conduct relevant livelihoods analysis both inside and outside FEWS NET. The RFSS-LH will contribute to providing high-quality and effective early warning of threats to food security and support efforts to mitigate food insecurity and prevent food crises through the provision of actionable food security analysis.
Minimum qualifications for the West Africa RFSS-LH position include:
- Fluency in English and French is required, local language skills desirable
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or higher) in a discipline that is directly relevant to household/food economy and food security, including economics, agricultural economics, social science, etc. Directly related professional experience can substitute for education experience.
- Significant relevant regional experience in an Household Economy Analysis (HEA)-related field with direct applications in food security and early warning
- Significant experience working with food security information systems, food security analysis, pastoral livelihoods, food security in the context of conflict, as well as other related fields
- Demonstrated ability to effectively conduct rapid assessments, focus group discussions, key information interviews, and other rapid rural appraisal techniques
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with regional partners and stakeholders
- Experience leading capacity building activities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and report-writing skills
- Excellent computer skills
The West Africa RFSS-LH position will remain open for applications through July 11, 2019. Full details of the position and application information can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies