World Vegetable Center is a nonprofit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and regional offices around the globe. The Center conducts research and development programs that contribute to improved incomes and diets in the developing world through increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables.
The Center’s Regional Office for West and Central Africa Dry Regions (WCA-D) in Bamako, Mali conducts vegetable research and development and provides training and information services with the goal of improving nutrition and livelihoods among small-scale farmers and consumers in West and Central Africa. For more information, please visit our website: worldveg.org
The Center is seeking a highly motivated and qualified person to support the office in WCA-D. The position will be based in Bamako and report to the Regional Director of WCA-D under the direct supervision of the Head-Regional Administration & Finance Officer. The position is only open to Malian nationals or candidates with legal permission to work in Mali.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Regional Director (RD) and under the supervision of the Head Regional Administration & Finance Officer, the Office Manager will have the following key responsibilities:
Research Support Functions
- Assist in planning and organizing workshops, seminars and other meetings;
- Coordinate all travel arrangements for staff (including the purchase of airfare tickets with travel agencies, hotel booking, visa arrangement, etc.).
Human Resources Functions
- Maintain Human Resources policy documents; provide necessary clarifications while applying the policies;
- Assist in processing benefits (leave, education, etc…) for Nationally Recruited Staff in the region;
- Develop and maintain an updated regional staff database;
- Assist with staff recruitment (advertising, applicants tracking system, planning interviews and online filing of reports).
Administration and Protocol Function
- Assist in managing the day to day activities of the RD’s Office;
- Organize and maintain administrative records;
- Organize transport services and monitor contracted services;
- Supervise secretarial personnel and drivers;
- Manage vehicles and generators’ fuel allocation and replenishment;
- Assist with public relations, including liaison with Government services with respect to host agreements, immigration, etc.
The Office Manager will undertake any other work as assigned by the supervisor or the Management.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications
- Minimum of an associate degree in secretarial studies programs, general office assistant or executive assistant programs;
- A minimum of 1 year work experience in executive secretarial work within an international environment, preferably an international non-governmental organization (NGO);
- Fluency in English and French is mandatory (spoken and written), fluency in Bambara is desirable;
- Good organization skills and time management;
- Good communications skills, written and verbal;
- High sense of confidentiality;
- An ability to stay calm and tactful under pressure;
- Good computer skills in MS-office applications (Word, Excel, Power point);
- A confident and positive attitude with excellent cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Ability to travel within Mali and in the region WCA-D;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact with partners and colleagues in a multi- cultural setting.
The World Vegetable Center provides a competitive pay and benefits commensurate with experience and in accordance with the national personnel employment scheme. Initial appointment will be for one year, renewable subject to funding availability and work performance.
Submit a letter of application highlighting relevant work experience with salary expectation along with a curriculum vitae in English, a recent passport size photograph, names and contact addresses (phone number and e-mail) of three references, attested copies of degrees/experience certificates obtained.
The application file should be addressed to the Regional Director, West and Central Africa, B.P. 320 Bamako, Mali; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for submission of applications: 05 March 2020