About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
Our vision is an equitable world where all people have viable livelihoods supported by healthy and productive landscapes.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
The Human Resources Officer will provide support to the ICRAF Sahel office in Mali in the areas of contract management, Recruitment, Employee relations and Performance management in liaison with the WCA Human Resources and Administrative Manager as per ICRAF HR strategy, policies and procedures.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Sahel Coordinator and direct functional reporting relationship to the WCA Human Resources & Administrative Manager based in the regional office in Cameroon, in synergy with the Sahel Administrative Officer.
The successful candidate will mainly have the following responsibilities:
- Selection process
- Preparation of Appointment letters/contracts
- On boarding of new staff including induction program
- Follow up on contract renewal reminders in Mali
- Process other staff letters in relation to their contracts
- Update personal files for staff with respective letters
- Process consultancy contracts, badges and maintain Consultancy list
- Maintain and update contract renewal log
- Prepare monthly payroll on time and submit to Finance for Processing
- Effect all national tax deductions and social security as per country labour laws
- Enrol new staff and timely registration to national pension security
- Advising on pay and remuneration package
Provide support on Employee Relations activities
- Assist employees on work matters, career development, personal problems and industrial matters
- Follow up medical insurance contract
- Analysing training needs in conjunction with departmental managers
- Provide assistance to supervisors and management during the promotion process, provide advice as per policy & on time compilation of the data for submission to the regional office
- Provide guidance to employee performance evaluation and ensure the on-time completion of the process
- Perform all HR related tasks in the systems and update dashboard
- Perform student management information system task and update Sahel dashboard
- Participate on the various HR projects e.g. Compliance audits, etc.
- Spouse program
- HIV/AIDS Program
- Staff welfare program
- Holder of Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Law
- Minimum of 3 years of working experience as HR providing administrative support to more than one person at a time, preferably in an international organization
- Strong knowledge of an organization’s HRM
- Knowledge of an organization’s HRM systems and policies;
- Ability to build good working relationships with colleagues at all levels;
- Ability to demonstrate strong administrative skills;
- Mastery of computer (MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.) and internet;
- A professional and flexible approach to work, with the ability to prioritize;
- Experience in delivering strong Customer service;
- Extensive team and organizational management experience;
- Attention to detail;
- Adherence to high quality of work;
- Good written and oral communication skills (proficiency in both English and French);
- Good listening skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to take initiative and think outside the box.
Terms of offer
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on local terms. The appointment will be for an initial period two-year renewable, subject to a three (3) months’ probation period.
How to apply
Applications will be considered until 30 January 2019. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.