|Position Title||Head of Programmes Implementation|
|Functional Area||Programmes Implementation|
|Reports to||Country Director|
|Travel required||Yes. Travel to field operations.|
|Location||Country Office Bamako|
|Effective Date||1st August 2019|
|Contract Length||1 year renewable|
|Job Relationships||The position holder will work with:|
· Plan country office Departments,
· Partners (Civil society, Implementation partners State technical departments, communes, etc.),
· Plan West Africa – Plan Global.
Plan International is an independent non-profit development and humanitarian organisation that exists since 1937. We recognize the power and potential of every single child. But this is often suppresed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected.
As independent non-profit development and humanitarian organization, we work alongside children, young people, our supports and partners to tackle the root causes of the challenges and vulnerable children face.
We support children right rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for and respond to crisis and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global level using our reach, experience and knowledge.
For other 80 years, we have building powerful partnership for children, and we are active in other 70 countries.
As purpose, Plan International strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. Our ambition is together, we take action so that 100 hundred million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive.
As stated in the current country strategy, Plan International Mali’s country goal is “Vulnerable and excluded Malian children, especially girls grow up healthily and equally cared for through their early years and receive the protection and support needed to make autonomous and healthy decisions on their sexuality and reproductive health as adolescents and youth”. This country goal is linked to Plan International’s global Ambition.
The purpose of this position is to oversee the management and monitoring of Plan International programs and small/ medium projects within the framework of the Country Strategy.
The position holder also develops capabilities in program implementation and evaluation among partners. He/she supports the Country Management Team to strengthen programme quality, to build and maintain partnerships.
Support the Program Influence & Impact areas in program planning and implementation. This means ensuring that:
- Program Influence & Impact Areas (PIIA) Annual plans are aligned with Country Strategy objectives and program priorities
- Programs and projects are implemented in accordance with Country Strategy and PIIA Annual plans
- Global Approach, the Community Development Cycle (CDC), the Child Friendly Communes (CFC) alternative programming and influencing around girls rights through Girls Get Equal (GGE) are incorporated into program implementation
- PIIA annual plans are monitored to ensure their effective implementation
- Field visits are conducted on a regular basis to support PIIA Teams and follow up projects implementation
- PIIA are receiving support to ensure timely and quality reporting
- Ensuring Program Quality & Influence Procedures (PQIP) are implemented in all projects cycles programs
- Ensure that all actions included in the Risk Register and related to Program Implementation and Sponsorship are implemented
- Ensure all actions agreed upon following Global Assurance Audits are implemented
Program planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure recommendations from Program Evaluations are implemented at field level
- Ensure lessons learnt from Evaluations are incorporated into program design at PIIA level
Support the implementation of Sponsorship commitments
- An accountability framework for effective and efficient delivery of sponsorship work is defined and implemented
- Country target for sponsorship growth is set in consultation with CMT and the regional office
- Effective relationships with fundraising offices are established and maintained
- Effective integration of sponsorship and programme activities
- Lead the implementation of the country phase out/in plan in accordance with the Country Strategic plans
Coordinate the implementation of Plan International global approach in the Country.
Global approach ensures that we are able to deliver our new purpose, and it reflects how we think change happens and how we can support this. The approach informs all of our work across the organisation and helps to deliver our country strategy. It combines the strengths of CCCD (Child Centred Community Development) with significantly increased capability to influence decision makers at all levels.
- Train staff and partners in the Plan International global approach
- Design/update a global approach implementation action plan
- Support staff to complete the Plan Academy Introduction to global approach module
- Ensure global approach standards are incorporated into Program/projects design and implementation
- The team’s performance objectives are well set, efficiently monitored using Plan’s performance management system.
- The members of the PIIA and Sponsorship teams are adequately supported in their work and their development needs are identified and met.
Dealing with Problems:
- The Head of Programme Implementation and Quality manages a large team. Excellent team managing skills and efficient communication are crucial for the job holder to succeed. Supporting the development of country colleagues to build a high performing team will be crucial to the success of this role.
- Plan International Mali’s programme portfolio is steadily growing, with significant growth expected in the fiscal year starting July 2019. The right staffing, skill set and delivery mechanisms will need to be in place to ensure timely and effective portfolio management that meets the requirements of all stakeholders.
- Overseeing program implementation and sponsorship operations in a complex and insecure environment will require the Head of Programme Implementation and Quality to be a strong leader, critical thinker, team player and sound decision maker.
The person may be appointed acting CD and represent Plan International Mali in key internal and external fora.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- University degree (Master level II) with background in Development Studies, Management, Social Sciences or related area
- Understanding of country’s development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development
- Demonstrated experience as a development professional in planning, monitoring, evaluating programs and managing pool of technical support
- Networking experience with development organizations in the country and at the international level
- Proven experience in a similar managerial level position in a reputable international organization
- At least 5 years’ experience in related managerial position with solid supervisory and support skills
- Understands Plan’s work, and implements processes and practices that support achievement of organisational objectives
- Good understanding of field realities
- Speaks, reads and writes English fluently.
Striving for high performance:
- Achieves clarity and accountability among whole team of their individual and collective objectives;
- Organises work clearly and effectively within the team;
- Deals with poor performers by either improving their contribution or managing their exit, if appropriate.
Strategic thinking and innovation:
- Creates strong strategic direction for own part of organisation in wider Plan context;
- Major contributor to direction in the management team of which they are a member;
- Flexible in responding to new demands presented in emergency situations.
Decision making and risk management:
- Can address complex problems in a balanced way;
- Good judgment in decision-making, making best use of available information;
- Willing to make difficult or unpopular decisions and stand by them.
- Able to carry out multi-tasking activities in a complex organization
- Excellent in judging priorities.
Influence and communication:
- Uses the potential of varied cultures to reach solutions;
- Excellent listener who understands and shows sensitivity to the views of others;
- Forms good relationships quickly with wide range of people, including those in positions of power and who have different views/ interests;
- Represents Plan effectively with senior people in external stakeholder organisations;
- Understands external and internal politics and able to navigate these;
- Communicates with clarity and passion both 1-1 and with large groups;
- Effective negotiator in complex situations;
- Assertive without being aggressive.
Building effective teams and partnerships:
- Creates a highly motivated team with a unified purpose;
- Modifies own view to get best outcome for organisation;
- Contributes effectively to work of other functions/ units and to management team as a whole
- Able to build partnerships and improve relationships;
- Resolves conflict effectively in own team or across boundaries.
- Continuously uses both 1-1 and team situations to develop others;
- Organises work to give others development opportunities;
- Adapts style to suit the needs of a wide variety of people;
- Deals effectively with mistakes and re-motivates those involved.
Self-awareness and resilience:
- Aware of own strengths, weaknesses and pro-active in using feedback and self-development
- Aware of impact on others and uses impact to create positive climate at work
- Aware of own emotional reactions and able to manage them
- Manages own workload effectively and manages stress without harm to self or others
- Positive about change and able to cope well with ambiguity and support others in doing so
- Able to anticipate the sensitivities of stakeholders (especially funders, et al.,) before all others
- Demonstrated ability to recognize problems and anticipate their resolution in project management ahead of all other managers.
Candidates interested in this offer are requested to send their applications no later than 28 July 2019 by following the link:
The application file must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to the Country Director of Plan International Mali
- An updated Curriculum Vitae.
Plan International is an organization that advocates equal access to employment, a policy of Zero Tolerance to Fraud and is committed to the safeguarding of children and young people and gender equity; Recruitment procedures reflect these values
Plan has adopted child protection and gender equity policies as an integral part of its recruitment procedures.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged