Finance Officer – Job Reference: FO/OPS/04/2021
Location: Bamako, Mali
Duration: Maternity Cover of 6 Months
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support the successful delivery from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Finance Officer.
The role will be based in Bamako, Mali.
S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the finance administration functions for the assigned countries. On financial functions, she/he will be responsible for coordinating and supporting the development and monitoring of budgets and forecasts, liaising with the finance unit in Nairobi to support timely processing of financial transactions, maintaining of a healthy balance sheet, providing audit support and aligning of processes and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain financial analysis and reporting activities for assigned countries and regions.
- Prepare finance reports and account reconciliation reports according to company policies on periodic basis.
- Identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues for the countries and regions.
- Support the annual financial audit processes through the preparation of standard reports as well as other custom reports as requested within the legal and regulatory requirements.
- Initiate and manage country and regional budgets and forecasts.
- Create finance journal entries as required for assigned countries and region.
- Lead in the management of account payables and receivables activities for the country and regions.
- Collaborate with the finance and HR teams in preparation of financial reports and statements for assigned country and regions.
- Align and reconcile country and region’s monthly general ledger balance, invoices and credit card statements.
- Set guidelines to ensure maintenance of the general and subsidiary ledgers.
- Plans and prepares tax documents for timely filing of company tax.
- Organize and maintain all countries and regions financial records and files as per the company policies
- Organize the administration processes for all payroll activities as well as oversee vendor payments etc.
- Plan for all bill payments and customer invoicing as per the deadlines with the country and regions.
- Set ways to streamline/improve the processes and procedures for operational efficiency of finance reporting and budgeting systems within the assigned countries and regions.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in accounting, finance, or financial monitoring.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent work experience.
- An MBA in any relevant field a strong added advantage.
- CPA certification.
- Strong analytical, data mining ability.
- Understanding of auditing techniques to help ensure countries and regions financial operations remain in compliance.
- Computer proficiency in spreadsheets, presentations and reporting software.
- Ability to work independently in a diverse environment
- Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions will be an added advantage.
- Thoroughly familiar with and experience in working with finance regulations and reporting standards and requirements.
- Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong ability to influence positively both upwards and downwards.
- Proven leadership ability to develop and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach.
- Deep understanding of the financial environment within which AGRA is operating.
- Highly organized, results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and problem solving/decision making ability.
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of global, country/government accounting standards.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV in English and French (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 15th April 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer