Job Posting: Finance Manager (FM)
Closing Date: 27th July 2021
Organization: Right To Play International
Department/Division: Finances/Country Office
Work location: Mali – Bamako
Right To Play is a global organisation that protects, educates and empowers children to rise above adversity using play. By harnessing play, one of the most powerful and fundamental forces in a child’s life, we helped 2.3 million children last year to stay in school and out of work, to prevent life-threatening diseases like HIV and malaria and to stay safe from exploitation and abuse. We are the only global development organization focused exclusively on using play to transform the lives of children and youth impacted by poverty, war, disease and inequality.
Established in 2000, Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in 15 countries across Canada, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
With a shared passion for our mission, our Culture Code guides how we act and interact based on five core pillars:
- Accept Everyone – Be intentional about inclusion
- Make Things Happen – Seek opportunities to lead and innovate
- Display Courage – Act with integrity
- Demonstrate Care – Look after yourself and one another
- Be Playful – Have fun at work
The Mali Country Office is currently searching for a qualified and self-driven candidate to join a team of professionals in Mali as Finance Manager.
The Finance Manager reports directly to the Country Director (CD) and has functional reporting lines to the Senior Manager, Field Finance (SMFF). The incumbent is responsible for the proper implementation of financial procedures in all Right To Play programs in the country of operation. The incumbent is responsible for overseeing and maintaining effective and efficient accounting and financial records, ensuring timely and accurate financial reports, practicing sound financial and cash flow management practices and ensuring internal controls compliance for the offices in the country of operations such as cash management, payroll, financial disbursements and ledgers.
In accordance with Right To Play (RTP) approved policies and procedures, the incumbent:
|1.||Financial Accounting and Reporting:
· Maintains complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
· Oversees the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
· Reviews country balance sheet on a monthly basis and submits to SMFF
· Analyses all financial transactions and preparation of journal entries for accrual, prepayments, corrections and adjustments.
· Ensures accurate and timely financial transactions are prepared in accordance with contract agreements with funders.
· Stays abreast on program priorities and their financial implications and makes field trips at least on a quarterly basis to conduct audit spot checks.
· Coordinates, supports annual external organizational audits, and grant audits.
· Performs the completion of country internal control audits, and initiates actions necessary to correct internal control weaknesses in coordination with the Field Finance Unit.
· Supports projects’ funding proposals: assists with budgets, reviews proposals, assesses the grant proposal finance reporting requirements and provides supporting documents.
· Ensures complete financial documentation of funding awards.
· Works with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments ensuring adequate coverage of country operating costs and Regional Office and HQ direct and indirect costs as per RTP guidelines.
· Manages the grant tracking file and systems to ensure timely invoicing, periodic reporting and closing of grants to fulfil obligations contained in grant agreements.
· Works with Program Managers to comply with funder’s terms and conditions, monitor spending and deliverables.
· Monitors project support to ensure consistent compliance with the terms of grant agreements, including financial management and compliance with donor’s regulations.
|3.||Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting:
· Supports the program team in preparation of detailed activity based program and operational budgets for Grants.
· Supports the CD in preparation of annual country office operating budgets, and bi-annual forecasts.
· Works with the PM/PD in liaising with partners in the process of budget reviews, analysis and use of standardised templates.
· Assists the CD and the PM/PD with the preparation of budgets for funding applications.
· Identifies any shortfalls in shared costs budget coverage and ensures new budgets cover the appropriate percentage of shared costs and reviews of unrestricted funding versus approved allocation and advise the CD & PM/PD on the most efficient cost recovery methods and techniques in line with the organizational policy.
· Monitors and reviews budgets to support financial stability, ongoing project viability, and consistency with agreed technical plans and actual implementation. Supports the PM/PD and CD in regards to the annual work plan, budget and changes to project plans, ensuring the cost efficiency and value-for-money over the life of the project.
· Reviews actual vs. budget financial results with the CD and PM/PD to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required. Assists the PM/PD in the review of the Transactional Listing of expenses.
|4.||Team management and capacity building:
· Leads the Finance Team and logistics (where applicable), monitors performance of direct reports, assesses the performance gaps in his/her direct reports and provides timely feedback, recommends to management the needed ongoing support and appropriate training and development in order to close the gaps.
· Ensures comprehensive and constructive performance reviews are completed on a timely basis and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with all country finance staff.
· Provides ongoing support and coaching to strengthen the finance team’s performance towards serving stakeholders’ needs. This will include support visits where necessary.
|5.||Implement Effective Internal Controls and Compliance
· Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
· Closely monitors all financial activities, and keeps the FFU advised of all situations, which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance.
· Complies and keeps abreast with all organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines and internal controls framework.
· Ensures the Procurement Plans for the year are prepared by designated staff, approved by the CD and are up-to-date regularly.
· Ensures proper purchase related templates are used, all purchases are correctly analysed and adequate supporting documents are well maintained as per the checklist and aligned with Policies.
· Ensures proper travel related templates are used, travel related data are properly reviewed and analysed and adequate supporting documents are well maintained as per the Policies.
· Oversees the protection of the country’s assets (inventory and fixed assets) through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures by ensuring that the Fixed Assets and Inventory registers are in place, updated regularly, and reported to Field Finance Unit.
· Ensures all expenses are authorized and approved in line with In Field Authorization Policy.
· Oversees the administration and Logistics functions (where applicable) to ensure compliance with RTP and donor procurement procedures.
· Ensures all statutory requirements of the organization are met including but not limited to Charitable Status, Withholding Payments, Income Tax, Social Security and VAT.
· Oversees all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner and issues pay slips when required by donors and local laws.
· Ensures accurate and timely monthly payroll preparation process as well as quarterly and annual payroll reconciliations.
· Ensures all employees have submitted correct and signed timesheets as per the approved level of Effort percentages.
|7.||Management of cash and bank transactions:
· Prepares the Cash Transfer Requests to HQ through the DGFF and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation.
· Oversees the daily cash/bank management of financial transactions.
· Oversees all the incoming wires from HQ/Donors.
· Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliations.
· Monitors petty cash accounts including the spot checking of balances and payments.
· Supervises the collection and recoverability of contractual, project partner activity advances, staff activity and travel advances and other receivables.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING
The incumbent is expected to set goals, discuss them with the CD and plan the work accordingly. He/she is expected to participate in the strategic planning for the county and support the team in setting their own goals and planning their own work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (Must have)
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting or related discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively-responsible related experience in all aspects of accounting for non-profit
- Five years or more experience in handling the local/international grants and grant financial reports
- CPA, ACCA or CMA or other related designations is an asset
(C) COMPETENCIES / PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to plan and implement work plan with minimum supervision
- Good networking and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with large data with attention to details
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication and reporting skills
- Strong analytical abilities and ability to prepare concise and informative financial reports.
- Ability to work as part of a culturally diverse team
- Leadership and management skills
- Results oriented and committed to accountability
(D) TECHNICAL SKILLS
Advanced knowledge in the use of financial software applications. MS Excel, MS Word, MS Power Point required.
Fluency written and spoken English and the local language(s). French is also required in francophone countries.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (An Asset)
- Knowledge of Good understanding and usage of an accounting software’s
- Superior bookkeeping skills
- Experience in budgetary management, forecasting and financial control
VII. JOB CONTRIBUTIONS/IMPACT
The incumbent is expected to solve problems and come up with creative solutions. He/she is also expected to share these solutions with respective staff.
The incumbent is expected to provide financial advice to the CD for monitoring financial reports to ensure that country expenses are within budget. He/she is expected to follow proper procedures as outlined in the respective country’s employment laws when recruiting and selecting candidates. Failure to abide by these laws or select suitable candidates could have significant financial implications on the country budget.
The incumbent is expected to regularly generate important financial reports. The incumbent is also expected to keep all financial and employee information confidential and in a safe place and to share all data with the CD.
The incumbent is expected to introduce improvements to the financial processes including budget management.
The incumbent is expected to establish and maintain good working relationships with the country staff as well as regional staff. He/she is also expected to build relationships with partners, government officials and service providers.
Compensation: We offer a competitive salary and benefits package
Employment Start Date: Immediately
Contract Duration: Long-term engagement based on performance and availability of funds
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to: MaliHR@righttoplay.com and kindly include “Finance Manager” and your name in the subject line before 27th July 2021 at 5pm (Mali time). While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Right To Play is a child-centered organization and Women applications are strongly encouraged.
Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs.
Pour postuler, envoyez votre CV et votre lettre de motivation par e-mail à MaliHR@righttoplay.com