Local Term Appointment Two (2) Years
Location: Bamako, Mali
Duties and Accountabilities
The World Bank is recruiting an Environmental Specialist primarily to provide environmental safeguards support to investment operations under preparation and supervision by other Global Practices, primarily in the CMU consisting of Mali, Niger, Chad and Guinea. This support typically includes the following duties and accountabilities, which will be fulfilled in coordination with, and following guidance from, more senior ENR staff:
- During project preparation: Make an assessment of the project’s potential environmental footprint and determine which of the Bank’s safeguards policies, and later Environmental and Social Standards, will be triggered; guide the borrower/project implementation agency in process of preparing the necessary safeguard instruments and review them for quality; contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation. This will also entail providing assistance to staff or client to assure the quality of project documentation before submission to the GEN07 Regional Safeguards Coordinator for approval;
- During project implementation: Supervise compliance with the Bank’s safeguards policies, and later Environmental and Social Standards, as finalized in the safeguards documents by participating in project technical discussions, field visits, reviewing project reports and building effective working relationships with the borrower/project implementation agency to ensure proper understanding and implementation of the policies; guide the borrower/implementing agency apply the safeguards policies effectively. This will entail building capacity of client in improving implementation;
- During both preparation and implementation:
- Go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to improve the environmental outcomes of the project work closely with the project task team and especially the Social Safeguards Specialist assigned to each operation and provide back up support as required;
- Participate in review meetings and represent GEN07 in relevant Bank-wide initiatives; represent the Bank in donor meetings on the environment; and contribute to knowledge generation and diffusion within the region and beyond;
- Regularly complete all project-related reporting requirements in Bank systems and provide project-related synopsis to management as and when required;
- Develop ENRM business opportunities in the CMU, in coordination with other ENR staff working in these countries;
- Contribute to the roll-out of the new Environmental and Social Framework, including building capacity of the clients.
- Perform other duties at the request of the GEN07 Manager.
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients;
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders;
- Integrative Skills – Working to develop an integrated view across all facets of current sector;
- Environmental Policy, Strategy and Institutions – Familiarity with environmental policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations;
- Environmental Sciences – Depth in at least one area: water; ecosystems; forests; conservation; agriculture concerns, etc.;
- Lead and innovate – Develops innovative solutions;
- Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses the clients’ stated and unstated needs;
- Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives;
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients;
- Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
Other Selection Criteria
In addition to the above the above core competencies the following criteria will have to be satisfied for the position of Environmental Specialist:
- Master’s degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g., engineering, environmental science, environmental economics, biology, international studies or equivalent;
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the environmental sector;
- Good knowledge of environmental legislation and institutions in African countries;
- Experience with the application of the World Bank’s environmental safeguards policies;
- Familiarity with social safeguards issues.
In addition, the following skills will be particularly considered during the selection process:
- Strong client orientation with the ability to build an understanding with implementing agency counterparts on the value-added of Bank operations;
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams on diverse and complex tasks;
- Drive for results while working with limited supervision and under tight timelines;
- Ability to solve problems rather than merely identify them;
- Ability to think innovatively and negotiate effectively;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French;
- Willingness to travel internationally as necessary.
For the full job description, competencies and selection criteria for this vacancy, qualified candidates are requested to visit and submit an electronic application at the World Bank careers site: www.worldbank.org/careers. Once at the site, Click on > employment opportunities> Administration > job number 171983.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
Closing date is 04-Dec-2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.