|Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement, manage, review and improve safe systems of work for open pit mining operations.
- Ensure the Operation is operated safely and in regulatory compliance.
- Display a clear commitment, including personal leadership, to safety and health, and seek to eliminate or control the risks of injury and/or damage to equipment.
- Operate in accordance with and comply the Company’s Safety and Health Policy, and with all site policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Actively contribute to site safety policy, new initiatives and implement change as directed by the General Manager.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and investigated according to policy and statutory requirements.
- Active participation in all communication and awareness systems
- Display a clear commitment to responsible environmental management.
- Ensure environmental impacts are assessed and included in work and project planning.
- Operate in accordance with the Company’s Environmental Policy, and comply with other site environmental policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that all Contractors adhere to Company Environmental Policy and Practices.
- Manage all activities in a manner that prevents pollution and minimises damage to the natural environment.
- Minimises waste generation through reduced consumption and increased re-use and recycling.
- Liaise as required for the role and proactively with regulatory bodies.
- Ensure Stakeholders are appropriately considered and Stakeholder sites and commitments, as applicable, are proactively managed.
- Operate in accordance with Company’s Stakeholder Policy.
Specific Departmental Requirements
- Develop and manage the Operation’s open pit mine and associated activities to safely meet the Company’s strategic goals.
- Maintain open and positive communication with all departments of the Operations (and between multiple operations as required).
- Directly control, manage and supervise the mining contractors.
- Generate operating plans and budgets that align with the Company’s requirements to maximise earning potential.
- Communicate with mine personnel on a regular basis, keeping them informed of the status, direction and targets of the Operation.
- Develop personnel directly reporting to this position through coaching/mentoring, training and regular appraisals.
- Manage the costs of the open pit mining operation in accordance with budgeted expenditure.
- Manage ROM pad development and stability, waste embankment development and stability and pit and embankment stability.
- Initiate and manage an ongoing departmental cost reduction and control programme.
- Ensure a constructive relationship with the Contractor along the spirit of and the within terms of the Contract.
- Assist to build open pit mining capacity within the Company.
- Maintain communications, involvement, flexibility and assistance with respect to other potential open pit activities of the Company
- Contribute as an experienced open pit operator to the Company’s strategic goals.