Organizational Capacity Building Consultant
USAID Household and Community Health (HCH) Activity – Keneya Nieta
Hours: Approximately 36.5 days between December 5, 2022 and January 30, 2023
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
Reports to: Chief of Party
Location: Bamako and Mopti, Mali with some work done virtually
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Guided by a strong vision of equitable and resilient systems that respond to people’s needs and emerging threats, URC helps countries and local actors to build, implement, and sustain science-driven, scalable solutions. Established in 1965, URC offers a range of technical expertise to empower governments, communities, and service providers toward strengthening their own health and social systems and improve service quality. We aim to expand access to and improve the quality of services, addressing maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health; global health security and infectious diseases, including HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria; reproductive health and family planning; nutrition and water, sanitation, and hygiene. In our interactions with each other and our clients, we stay true to our values for transformative change by focusing on:
- Creativity: by unleashing our creativity, we enhance engagement and interaction to improve problem-solving.
- Collaboration: not only our work towards the same vision and mission instill staff with a strong sense of purpose, but also enables us to complement each other’s skills and allocate work to maximize everyone’s strengths.
- Accountability: we hold ourselves responsible for accomplishing goals, completing assignments, and making decisions.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion: we embrace the importance of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, where our leadership and staff model behavior that enriches our organization, demonstrates respect for all people, and supports opportunities for all staff.
- Transparency: we understand that when employees deeply trust one another and their leaders, they will be more engaged in their roles because they will not be worried about unfair treatment.
University Research Co., LLC (URC) implements the USAID Mali Household and Community Health (HCH) Activity. The purpose of this Activity is to sustainably reduce maternal, newborn, and child mortality and to increase individual and household adoption of healthy behaviors and demand for and use of health services in the regions of Mopti, Segou, and Sikasso by increasing the capacity of Malians to plan, finance and manage their own health at the individual, household, and community levels. This five-year activity targets 26 districts in Mopti, Segou, and Sikasso regions.
The HCH Activity is searching for an experienced organizational capacity building consultant to conduct the second round of organizational capacity needs assessments and develop capacity building plans to support 3 local organizations in Mali working with the HCH Activity. The HCH Activity team seeks to have a purposeful capacity building component to empower local organizations to implement quality programming, support USAID Journey to Self-Reliance, and strengthen national capacity.
Specific tasks include:
- Review the initial OCAT Assessment Report and Capacity Development Plan, and/or modify the Organizational Capacity Assessment Tools;
- Conduct the second round of Organizational Capacity Needs Assessment with the three local organizations (Association of Malienne pour le Développement Communautaire- AMADECOM, operating in Segou, JIGI operating in Sikasso, and YA-G-TU operating in Mopti). The consultant will conduct a second Capacity Needs Assessment (CNA) to collect evidence from the organizations’ staff (managerial, technical and support). The CNA will cover all organizational aspects and respondents will be required to show evidence for particular CNA responses for verification. The consultant will assess the organizations across several domains including:
- Human Resources
- Financial Management
- Organizational Management
- Program Management
- Project Performance Management
- Operational Research
- Organizational Sustainability
- Business Development
- Networking and Fundraising
- Technical Capacity – Health
- Health System Strengthening
- Health Financing
- Community Health
- Health Program Management
- Develop the second round of Organizational Capacity Building Plans based on the CNA results. Based on CNA results findings, the HCH Activity team will work with the local organizations to develop a comprehensive capacity building plan for each of the three local organizations. The plan will reflect a set of capacity building activities that complement each other and are tailored to each organization. `The consultant is expected to consult with each of the three organizations to determine the best combination of CB interventions over time for the organization. CB approaches that would be used in the capacity building plan include:
- In-person Training Workshops
- Knowledge Sharing
- Peer-To-Peer Learning
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Online Trainings
- Technical Assistance Visits
- Implement the Organizational Capacity Building Plans: Alongside the local organizations, URC will work with consultants and HCH Activity team members to implement the capacity building plans that will be developed per organization. As part of activities planned to build the capacity of the organizations, HCH Activity will then either recruit consultants to conduct some of the capacity building interventions, or use some of the Keneya Nieta staff to conduct training, coaching and mentoring, knowledge sharing, or technical assistance (TA) visits to the organizations.
- Final SoW
- Report on the general Inception Meeting with partners
- Completed OCAT
- Draft Capacity Needs Assessment Reports for the three local NGOs
- Draft Capacity Building Strategy and Plans for the three local NGOs
- Final Capacity Needs Assessment (CNA) Reports for the 3 local NGOs
- Final Capacity Building Strategy and Plans for the 3 local NGOs
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or related field.
- Minimum eight years of experience in Organizational Capacity Building and/or Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Prior experience working with USAID and other international donors and knowledge of USAID and US Government policies and procedures.
- Prior experience conducting OCAT assessments of local or regional organizations in the Sahel in West Africa
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in French and in English.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines. and intense pressure to perform.
- Fluency (oral and written) in English
This job is open to candidates legally authorized to work in Mali. No allowances have been budgeted for this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unless otherwise directed we will retain your CV in our database for future opportunities.
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We value and seek diversity in our workforce