At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
Work Location : Mali – Bamako
Type of Post : Accompanied – Family
Funding : Approved
Expected Travel : up to 40%
Language Requirement : English & French
CARE is seeking an Assistant Country Director – Program Quality (ACD-PQ) who will be responsible for ensuring that CARE’s programs in Mali contribute to CARE’s Vision 2020 and where « a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been eliminated and people live with dignity and security ». We are seeking an innovative and strategic individual who will provide leadership in the areas of program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. The ACD-PQ will ensure that CARE’s programs/projects make a significant contribution to reducing poverty and social injustice. S/he is responsible for overseeing the development, testing and implementation of new and innovative program approaches appropriate for the context of the Country Office. S/he will work closely with and will be supported by the program units at regional and CARE global levels as well as interested CARE International Member Partners.
The ACD/Program Quality is responsible for ensuring that programs, program strategies and program quality and budgeting remain in line with CARE International Standards, the Region’s Sahel Resilience Strategy, the CI Program Strategy and the Mission’s Strategic Plan (aligned with CARE’s Vision 2020).
The ACD/PQ ensures that CARE programming principles and strategic directions are reflected in programs and understood by all members of program staff. Within a context of chronic food and nutrition insecurity and conflict/political instability and insecurity, the ACD/PQ is responsible for ensuring integration across key programs with an emphasis on developing strong links between development and emergency programming (team composition and structure, coherent programming; program synergy; Impact Measurement, vulnerability assessments and information management, etc.) and building resilience. As the key contact person with senior programming staff, the ACD/PQ ensures a coherent program approach with key synergies across all programs (currently Emergency, Education, Health and Governance, Women and Girls’ Empowerment and Food Security/Climate Change Adaptation).
The ACD-PQ is responsible for reviewing monthly budget expenditure reports, pipeline, donor reports and receivables with the CD, Admin & Finance staff and other senior program staff on a monthly basis and ensures program coordinators are managing budgets appropriately, effectively and efficiently. S/he provides information for audit implementation and reviews audits reports and support the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations to make sure the CO complies with donors’ policies and procedures.
The ACD-PQ is a key member of the Country Office Senior Management Team and as such is responsible for leading and supporting CO initiatives. S/he is responsible for (along with the CD) maintaining good working relationships with host government officials, donors and other partners. S/he may be required to become Acting CD when the CD is out of the country. The ACD/P is expected to play key role along with the CD in mobilizing and leading the program team in developing a transformation and business plan related to the Sahel Review and CO Presence Review process.
- Staff Management
- Program Quality and Management
- Program Design, Reflective Practice and Learning
- Program Management
- Strategy Development
- External Relations and Partnerships
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science or equivalent in related fields
- 10 years’ experience at senior management level (including at least 3 years ACD/PQ or Program Director experience) with an international NGO in both development and emergency field.
- Minimum successful 3 years’ experience in ACD-Program Quality position is a plus
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in a very complex international setting
- Extensive conceptual skills including development of program strategy
- Demonstrated experience in program design (including proposal development), implementation and evaluation
- Proven experience in emergency related activities
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong experience in people management
- Ability and interest to coach and develop staff
- Experience with the management of a diverse workforce
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Financial Management
Knowledge and experience with financial management as demonstrated by:
- Ability to manage a complex budget
- Partnership and subgrant management
- Donor compliance and reporting
- Experience in successfully managing institutional partnerships with national and international NGOs
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the recruitment may be closed if a successful candidate is identified.
Please click here to apply: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CAREUSA&cws=52&rid=4491