SUBJECT: VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 17-030
OPEN TO: CURRENT EMPLOYEES OF THE MISSION ONLY
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
POSITION: Architect/Construction Engineer (CE) FSN-10; FP-05
OPENING DATE: December 08, 2017
CLOSING DATE: December 18, 2017
WORK HOURS: Full-time, 48 hours per week (plus overtime)
SALARY: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-10 – 13,508,128 F CFA per year
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR) FP-5* – US$ 52,765 per year
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a temporary position not to exceed 12 months from date of hire.
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS (See Appendix for definition) MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. EMBASSY EMPLOYEES UNDER PROBATIONARY PERIOD ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS VACANCY.
The U.S. Embassy in Bamako is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Architect/Construction in the Overseas Building Operations (OBO) Section.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The Architect/Construction Engineer shall inspect daily construction activities; review plans; recommend approval of shop drawings, product data and submittals; maintain a daily log of construction activities; develop change orders including preparing cost estimates; and other construction engineering duties related to the construction of the Marine Security Guard Residence -Bamako as directed by the Contracting Officer Representative and/or Overseas Building Operations Project Director. He/ She shall be capable of working independently and shall provide professional engineering services.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Hold a Bachelor of Science degree in architecture or architectural engineering from an accredited institution or equivalent degree or experience. Holder of Engineering Credential or member of Association of Certified Engineers.
- Five (5) years’ experience in the field of Architecture/construction in relation to building constructions and renovations is required; at least 2 years of this experience must be with International or U.S. codes and criteria.
- Level IV (fluency – reading/speaking writing) English is required. Level III (good working knowledge – reading/speaking/writing) French is required. English language will be tested.
- Must have knowledge in design and construction practices with United Sate civil and architectural codes and specifications, thorough professional knowledge in civil and architectural design calculations and criteria, preparation of engineering drawings and specification.
- Microsoft Office package user for word processing and analysis. Ability to use engineering management software, maintain daily construction inspection logs. Ability to create architectural cost estimates, review civil and architectural construction drawings for code compliance and provide briefings to the Project Director on civil and architectural issues. Ability to use AutoCAD required.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained on our website at BamakoJob@state.gov and/or by contacting the Human Resources Office at 2070-2511/2314/2315/2316.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
(3) FS on LWOP**
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the following:
- Local Security Certification
- Medical Clearance
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website https://www.malipages.comml.usembassy.gov/ or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above);
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Note: Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174) is the ONLY APPLICATION FORM used when applying for job with the US Embassy Bamako. Any application without the form DS 174 will be considered as uncompleted application and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
WHERE TO APPLY: ALL THE APPLICATIONS MUST BE SENT TO BamakoJob@state.gov WITH THE POSITION TITLE: ARCHITECT /CONSTRUCTION ENGINEER AS SUBJECT.
**Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.