DRYDEV Administrative and Communication Assistant – Sahel Node
About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
Our vision is a rural transformation in the developing world as smallholder households increase their use of trees in agricultural landscapes to improve food security, nutrition, income, health, shelter, social cohesion, energy resources and environmental sustainability.
The main focus of this position will be the activities of the Drylands Development Programme (DRYDEV) in the Sahel, especially in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger.
(DRYDEV) is a five-year initiative funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) of the Netherlands. The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is the overall implementing agency. DRYDEV is designed to provide relevant and contextually appropriate support to smallholder farmers in selected dryland areas of Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Ethiopia, and Kenya. It is seeking to meaningfully contribute to the realization of a vision where households residing in such areas have transitioned from subsistence farming and emergency aid to sustainable rural development.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
The DRYDEV Sahel Administrative and Communication Assistant will Provide communication, administrative and logistic support to the DRYDEV Programme team while Maintaining good working relations with the country office team.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the DRYDEV Project Manager and collaboration with the Sahel Administrative Officer, the successful candidate will mainly be assigned to the following:
Coordination of meetings
- Make logistical arrangements for incoming and outgoing missions
- Assist in organization of and reporting on workshops, meetings, and similar functions
Coordination and Logistic Facilitation
- Schedule appointments and meetings with relevant stakeholders
- Facilitate travel arrangements for DRYDEV staff and donors
- Handle travel bookings, request and expense claims for the DRYDEV staff in liaison with the travel office and finance unit
- Oversee the procurement of office and supplies for the DRYDEV Sahel Programme and maintain related service agreements; liaising with the Sahel office administration (and EA/HQ colleagues as applicable).
- Oversee the fuelling and maintenance of the DRYDEV Sahel vehicles in liaison with the Sahel Office Administration
Facilitation of office operations
- Receive and assist visitors
- Respond to routine correspondence, file necessary correspondence, reports, project files, etc.
- Proper filing and archiving of programme documents
- Maintain files of signed minutes with DRYDEV partners
- Draft letters and reports and schedule appointments
- Maintain DRYDEV assets in good condition, including their records
- Liaise with DRYDEV Partners on relevant matters, and ensure timely delivery of annual reports to it.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the DRYDEV Sahel Programme Coordinator
Support and coordination of communication work under DryDev in the Sahel
- Facilitate the translation of documents and communication materials between English and French, either through arranging for external consultants (for large technical documents and reports) or through direct translation work (e.g. for emails, letters and short general documents)
- Provide needed support for proper bilingual communication between Anglophone ICRAF staff and Francophone Sahel DryDev staff.
- Support in the development and / or adaptation of regionally appropriate information, education and communication (IEC) materials
- Support the DryDev Communication Officers, in all communication matters related to the Programme in the Sahel.
- Liaise with the Sahel partners on DryDev communication matters, including the management of the DryDev AKVO platform and uploading of materials in the programme website.
- Perform any other task as assigned by the supervisor.
- Assist in the coordination of meetings in order to assure timely and accurate completion, produce minutes for core meetings and tracks action items
- Support the programs staff by facilitating logistics such as meetings, conference rooms, conference calls, etc.
- Coordinates all logistics for program phase events (meetings, planning and review, partner and donor visits, etc.
- Handle travel bookings, request and expense claims for the unit’s staff in liaison with the travel office and finance unit
- Assist with office operations to ensure a smooth workflow, liaising with the operations units for various support services as required.
- Proper filing and archiving of program documents
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the hierarchy.
Work closely with, and support the Sahel Finance and Compliance Officer on financial matters to ensuring good book keeping and budget monitoring
University/High National Diploma in Secretarial studies or related disciplines (e.g. in bilingual secretarial field);
At least 3 years’ work experience in a similar environment providing administrative support, translation of documents, preferably in an international organization;
Skills and competencies
The successful candidate should:
- Must be bilingual (fluent in both French and English);
- Mastery of computer tools (MS office (work, Excel, PowerPoint, publisher, etc.) ;
- Good functional knowledge of an organization administration systems and policies;
- Ability to prepare, monitor budget and manage a Programme
- A professional and flexible approach to work, with the ability to prioritize;
- Good communication and writing skills;
- Attention to details;
- Good interpersonal skills; and
- Ability to take initiative and think outside the box. Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- operational efficiency and effectiveness, reporting, translation, communication and logistics
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. These positions are on national terms and will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a probation period according to the local labour law. The contract could be renewed subject to performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of funds.
How to apply
Applications for this position must include:
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations,
- A detailed and updated curriculum vitae,
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, ICRAF West and Central Africa, Sahel Node Applicants should indicate: “Application – DRYDEV Administrative and Communication Assistant – Sahel Node” on their application letters.
Applications will be considered until 2nd March 2018 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF by accessing our web site: http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org