About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
Our vision is a rural transformation in the developing world as smallholder households increase their use of trees in agricultural landscapes to improve food security, nutrition, income, health, shelter, social cohesion, energy resources and environmental sustainability.
The main focus of this position will be the activities of the Drylands Development Programme (DRYDEV) in the Sahel, especially in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger.
(DRYDEV) is a five-year initiative (August 2013 to July 2018) funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) of the Netherlands. The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is the overall implementing agency. DRYDEV is designed to provide relevant and contextually appropriate support to smallholder farmers in selected dryland areas of Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Ethiopia, and Kenya. It is seeking to meaningfully contributeto the realization of avision where households residing in such areas have transitioned from subsistence farming and emergency aid to sustainable rural development.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
The DRYDEV Sahel Finance and Compliance Officer will ensure overall financial compliance and effective financial management and reporting, and ensure diligent posting of financial transactions into the accounting system etc.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Sahel DRYDEV Sahel Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will mainly be assigned to the following
• Liaise and consult with the Financial Service Unit at ICRAF headquarters in Nairobi on all DRYDEV financial and budget related matters
• Prepare, monitor and review (any time needed) the DRYDEV Sahel annual budgets as per ICRAF POWB
• Perform quarterly budget analysis and report to theDRDEV Sahel Programme Coordinator on expenditure trends, projected budget overruns and recommend corrective measures where necessary
• Review the accuracy of monthly expenditure reports for DRYDEV Sahel and highlight issues arising for follow up;
• Prepare and/or review all monthly balance sheet account reconciliations for DRYDEV in collaboration with the Sahel Finance Officer;
• Monitor petty cash used for DRYDEV Programme activities;
• Ensure proper internal control over all financial transactions related to the DRYDEV Sahel;
• Undertake quarterly financial control visits to allthe DRYDEV Sahel partners to ensure that ICRAF and the donor procedures and requirements are adhered;
• Carry out six-monthly pre audits to support partners in preparing for the annual auditing;
• Assist with internal and external annual auditing of DRYDEV in the Sahel;
• Consolidate DRDEV Sahel Monthly financial reports, and prepare annual financial statements;
• Review project partner six-monthly financial reports and annual financial reports;
• Assist DRYDEV Finance team at HQ to consolidate financial reports for submission to the donor;
• Oversight of financial and budgetary issues of the DRYDEV Programme and related in collaboration with WCA and EA regional and HQ colleagues;
• Work with various units in WCA and EA regions and with the Contracts and Grants Office, and assist with processing of Letters of Agreement with implementing partners;
• Following up to ensure that Programme payments to partners are effected in good time;
• Perform all other transactions coming the DRYDEV Sahel partners;
• Maintain schedules of fixed assets and a filing system for the DRYDEV Sahel within the established format and procedure and ensure data safety;
• Maintain an accurate fixed asset register (capitalization, depreciation and disposal) for the DRYDEV;
• Carry out any other tasks requested by the Sahel node coordinator or the supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting, Business Administration
• Minimum 5 year experience in a similar position within an international or reputable national organization, preferably in an international organization
• Ability to build good working relationships with colleagues at all levels;
• Mastery of computer (MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.) and internet;
• A professional and flexible approach to work, with the ability to prioritize;
• Adherence to high quality of work;
• Good written and oral communication skills (proficiency in both English and French);
• Good interpersonal skills;
• High level of financial management and budgeting;
• Proficiency in the use of one or more than one accounting software;
• Good command in both French and English
• Exceptional attention to detail
• High level of integrity
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gendersensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. These positions are on national termsand will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a probation period according to the local labour law.
The contract could be renewed subject to performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of funds.
How to apply
Go to https://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
Applications for this position must include:
• A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations,
• A detailed and updated curriculum vitae,
• The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to theHuman Resources Unit, ICRAF West and Central Africa, Sahel Node Applicants should indicate: “Application – DRYDEV Sahel Finance and Compliance Officer – Sahel Node” on their application letters.
Applications will be considered until 8th July 2015 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF by accessing our web site: https://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org
About our organization