About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry or ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
Our vision is a rural transformation in the developing world as smallholder households increase their use of trees in agricultural landscapes to improve food security, nutrition, income, health, shelter, social cohesion, energy resources and environmental sustainability.
The main focus of this position will be the activities of the Drylands Development Programme (DRYDEV) in the Sahel, especially in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger.
(DRYDEV) is a five-year initiative (August 2013 to July 2018) funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) of the Netherlands. The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is the overall implementing agency. DRYDEV is designed to provide relevant and contextually appropriate support to smallholder farmers in selected dryland areas of Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger, Ethiopia, and Kenya. It is seeking to meaningfully contributeto the realization of avision where households residing in such areas have transitioned from subsistence farming and emergency aid to sustainable rural development.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
The DRYDEV Sahel Administrative Assistant will provide administrative and logistic assistance to the DRYDEV Sahel team by assisting in coordinating meetings in order to assure timely and accurate completion, production of minutes for coremeetings and tracks action items, supporting the programs staff by facilitating logistics such as meetings, conference rooms, and conference calls, handling travel bookings, request and expense claims for the unit’s staff in liaison with the travel office and finance unit, etc.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Sahel DRYDEV Sahel Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will mainly be assigned to the following
Coordination of meetings
• Make logistical arrangements for incoming and outgoing missions
• Assist in organization of and reporting on workshops, meetings, and similar functions
Coordination and Logistic Facilitation
• Schedule appointments and meetings with relevant stakeholders
• Facilitate travel arrangements for DRYDEV staff and donors
• Handle travel bookings, request and expense claims for the DRYDEV staff in liaison with the travel office and finance unit
• Oversee the procurement of office and supplies for the DRYDEV Sahel Programme and maintain related service agreements; liaising with the Sahel office administration (and EA/HQ colleagues as applicable).
• Oversee the fuelling and maintenance of the DRYDEV Sahel vehicles in liaison with the Sahel Office Administration
Facilitation of office operations
• Receive and assist visitors
• Respond to routine correspondence, file necessary correspondence, reports, project files, etc.
• Proper filing and archiving of programme documents
• Maintain files of signed minutes with DRYDEV partners
• Draft letters and reports and schedule appointments
• Maintain DRYDEV assets in good condition, includingtheir records
• Liaise with DRYDEV Partners on relevant matters, and ensure timely delivery of annual reports to it.
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the DRYDEV Sahel Programme Coordinator
Support on Finance, Budgeting and Reporting matters
• Work closely with the Finance Unit of ICRAF on financial matters ensuring good book keeping and budget monitoring
• Work with various units in WCA and EA regions and with the Contracts and Grants Office, and assist with processing of Letters of Agreement with implementing partners.
• Following up to ensure that Programme payments to partners are effected in good time.
• Assist in the preparation of donor financial reporting, ensuring that they are of sufficiently high quality.
• Assist in the compilation and preparation of progress reporting (including the 6-monthly reports) to the DGIS
• Carry out any other tasks requested by the Sahel node coordinator or the supervisor.
• University/High National Diploma in Secretarial studies or related disciplines (e.g. in bilingual secretarial field);
• At least 3 years’ work experience in a similar environment providing administrative support, preferably in an international organization;
• Must be bilingual (fluent in both French and English);
• Mastery of computer tools (MS office (work, Excel, PowerPoint, publisher, etc.) ;
• Good functional knowledge of an organization administration systems and policies;
• Ability to prepare, monitor budget and manage a Programme
• A professional and flexible approach to work, with the ability to prioritize;
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
• Good communication and writing skills;
• Attention to details;
• Good interpersonal skills; and
• Ability to take initiative and think outside the box.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gendersensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. These positions are on national termsand will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a probation period according to the local labour law.
The contract could be renewed subject to performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of funds.
How to apply
Go to https://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
Applications for this position must include:
• A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations,
• A detailed and updated curriculum vitae,
• The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to theHuman Resources Unit, ICRAF West and Central Africa, Sahel Node Applicants should indicate: “Application – DRYDEV Sahel Administrative Assistant – Sahel Node” on their application letters.
Applications will be considered until 8th July 2015 or until a suitable candidate is identified and selected. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
We invite you to learn more about ICRAF by accessing our web site: https://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org
About our organization