SUBJECT: VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 18-014
OPEN TO: ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES / ALL SOURCES
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
POSITION: Residential Air Conditioning and Plumbing Team Leader
OPENING DATE: April 4, 2018
CLOSING DATE: April 19, 2018
WORK HOURS: Full-time, 40 hours per week (plus overtime)
SALARY: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-05 – 4,323,522 F CFA per year
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR) FP-9 – US$ 34,390 per year
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
All ordinarily resident (OR) applicants (see appendix for definition) must have the required work and/or residency permits to be eligible for consideration.
The U.S. Embassy in Bamako is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of A/C and Plumbing Team Leader.
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION:
– Supervises the installation, maintenance and repair of all air conditioning, refrigeration and related equipment.
– Directly supervises the Air Conditioning and Plumbing workshops and maintains the filing systems and records.
Partial description of Major Duties of Position
– Directly supervises all refrigeration, air conditioning installations, and plumbing maintenance repairs.
– Assigns and oversees work to be done, insures that tools and materials are appropriate to the task, and follows up work as necessary.
– Assists FMM and FMS in the coordination of GSO projects requiring his skills, maintains central maintenance files related to specific projects and equipment.
– Must adhere to all sound Safety working practices.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
1. Education: Secondary school completion is required. Vocational training or apprenticeship in an institution producing journeyman mechanic skills.
2. Experience: Two years of journeyman experience in building construction work and two years of supervisory experience.
3. Language: English and French level II, Bambara level III. English language proficiency will be tested.
4. Skills and Abilities: Ability to keep records and leadership, the use of normal tools and equipment associated with building maintenance, refrigeration mechanics and plumbing repairs.
5. Job Knowledge: Building and grounds maintenance operations, expertise in maintenance and repair of Air Conditioning, refrigeration and plumbing equipment and ability to estimate and plan jobs. Must be knowledgeable of FM and GSO maintenance operating procedures.
Note: this position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
1. Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174) is available on our website. To apply for a job please fill in the form DS-174 (English Version-PDF 130. KB), or DS-174FR (French Version-pdf 490 KB), and send to BamakoJob@state.gov . Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Note: Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174) is the ONLY APPLICATION FORM used when applying for job with the US Embassy Bamako. Any application without the form DS 174 will be considered as uncompleted application and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
WHERE TO APPLY: All applications must be sent to BamakoJob@state.gov with the position title listed in the subject line of the email. **Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
(3) FS on LWOP** *
IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final. ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
1. Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
2. Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an overall summary rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
3. Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
4. The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the following: Local Security Certification and a Medical Clearance.
5. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.