SUBJECT: VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 17-034
OPEN TO: ALL INTERESTED CANDIDATES / ALL SOURCES
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
POSITION: OBO ADMISTRATIVE ASSISTANT FSN-07; FP-07
OPENING DATE: December 22, 2017
CLOSING DATE: January 04, 2018
WORK HOURS: Full-time, 40 hours per week (plus overtime)
SALARY: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN-07 – 6,467,475 F CFA per year
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR) FP-7 – US$ 42,169 per year
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a temporary position not to exceed 12 months from date of hire.
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS (See Appendix for definition) MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION. EMBASSY EMPLOYEES UNDER PROBATIONARY PERIOD ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS VACANCY.
The U.S. Embassy in Bamako is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of OBO Administrative Assistant in the Facility Management Section (FM).
NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Under the supervision of the Overseas Building Operations Project Director for the Marine Security Guard Residence construction project, the employee provides office management support services related to the construction project. The employee shall be directly responsible to the Project Director for the performance of his/her support services.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Completion of secondary education and diploma in secretarial or office management skills. Training in basic accounting or book keeping.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in the secretarial, administrative management and clerical fields, of which one year should involve work on basic accounting.
- Level III (good working knowledge) in written and spoken English required. Level 3 French is required to communicate to employees at the complex. English language will be tested.
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures. Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel software is required.
- Ability to effectively schedule and prioritize work and carry out tasks in an accurate and timely manner. Level II typing ability – a minimum 40 words per minute with accuracy. Must be able to work in a high stress, high volume, production environment. Ability to deal with callers or visitors in a polite and courteous manner. Ability to work effectively with all levels of individuals both from within the Overseas Building Operations, embassy, and the public. Ability to use hand held radio.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities may be obtained at BamakoJob@state.gov and/or by contacting the Human Resources Office at 2070-2511/2314/2315/2316.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS:
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran
(3) FS on LWOP**
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
Management may consider the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the following:
- Local Security Certification
- Medical Clearance
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174), which is available on our website https://ml.usembassy.gov/ or by contacting Human Resources. (See “For Further Information” above);
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Note: Universal Application for Employment (UAE) (Form DS-174) is the ONLY APPLICATION FORM used when applying for job with the US Embassy Bamako. Any application without the form DS 174 will be considered as uncompleted application and WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
WHERE TO APPLY:
ALL THE APPLICATIONS MUST BE SENT TO BamakoJob@state.gov WITH THE POSITION TITLE: OBO ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT AS SUBJECT.
**Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.