The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) seeks: TAAT Sorghum & Millet Compact Accounting Officer (West and Central Africa)
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid-Tropics (ICRISAT) is seeking applications from a dynamic and highly innovative accounting officer to work on cereals (sorghum and pearl millet) and in a multi-disciplinary team comprising both biological and social scientists. The Accounting Officer will be based at ICRISAT Regional Hub in Bamako, Mali and will have overall responsibilities to work in collaboration with ICRISAT scientists based in West and Central Africa and with the NARS and other partners in the region.
The successful candidate will be responsible for operational development, management and coordination of the sorghum and millet compact component of an AfDB – funded project – Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT), in Mali. The Accounting Officer (Nationally Recruited Staff) will be based in Bamako (Mali).
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid tropics have over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru, near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. In WCA, ICRISAT has its regional hub in Mali and country programs in Niger and Nigeria.
ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director of ICRISAT WCA, the functional supervision of the Regional Finance Manager for WCA, and the direct supervision of the Chief Accountant, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Provide day-to-day operational support to TAAT program activities in the Sorghum and Millet Compact;
- Prepare financial and operation activities of TAAT program to ensure timely delivery of the necessary inputs and timely implementation of activities, consistent with the planned project work plans, detailed field activity plans, and procurement plans;
- Ensure follow up with PSD on the procurement of materials and services required for implementation of the TAAT program;
- Execute the implementation of efficient financial flow mechanisms and ensuring timely availability of resources for the smooth implementation of project activities defined by the Chief Accountant, including preparation and submission of Fund requests;
- Follow up of work plan and budget delivery monitoring of TAAT-implemented projects;
- Maintain coordination and communication with respective Administrative units for timely program implementation;
- Ensure arrangements for incoming and outgoing missions (including procurement, monitoring and backstopping missions) as required;
- Participate on behalf of the Regional Finance Manager and the Chief Accountant in various meetings organized for donor coordination and resource mobilization;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience in Finance, Audit or accounting.
- Diploma/Degree in accounting, or related field.
- Record of successful operational support to similar projects.
- Highly proficient in written and spoken English and working knowledge of French
- Demonstrated ability to perform under minimal supervision
- Experienced working in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
The initial contract will be for 2 years with a possibility of renewal for another year based on satisfactory performance, need for the position and fund availability. The position is in the category of NRS (Nationally Recruited Staff Band A), with a competitive salary and other annual allowances.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before May 25th, 2018 by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a letter of motivation, a latest Curriculum Vitae (with nationality, age, gender, marital status), and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. The reference name of the position (TAAT Sorghum & Millet compact Accounting Officer), should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the email. Screening of applications will begin after the last day of submitting applications, and will continue until the position is filled. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer